[Rd] problem with R CMD build (PR#7240)

sego at vt.edu sego at vt.edu
Mon Sep 20 22:07:11 CEST 2004

Hello,

This may not be a bug--but I'm not sure.  I have R 1.91 installed on a
machine that's running Windows XP.  In Cygwin, when I attempt to use the
"build" command it tells me that TMPDIR is set to an invalid directory.
See the results below:

stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> which r
/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1091/bin/r

stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> r CMD build --help
Please set TMPDIR to a valid temporary directory

stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> r CMD build validate
Please set TMPDIR to a valid temporary directory

stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> echo $TMPDIR
TMPDIR: Undefined variable.

stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> echo $TMP
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/sego/LOCALS~1/Temp

stat20:/cygdrive/d/dirk/bands/implementation -> echo $TEMP
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/sego/LOCALS~1/Temp

What is TMPDIR?  How can I set it?

I've installed Perl as well as the extra binary files (make.exe, etc.)
needed to build and install libraries under Windows (not that they're
related to this problem...)

Thanks,

Landon Sego

Landon Sego