[Rd] Proper way to export S3 method when base is not in a namespace

Warnes, Gregory R gregory_r_warnes at groton.pfizer.com
Thu Sep 16 22:11:13 CEST 2004

What is the proper method of exporting an S3 method from a package with a
NAMESPACE when the base method is from a package which does not have a
namespace?

EG,  The Design library defines 'contrast', 'contrast.ols', ..  and I've
written 'contrast.lm' which I want to include in a private package.   If I
put

	S3method(contrast, lm)

in the NAMESPACE file, R CMD check fails with

Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc,
character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :
	package/namespace load failed
Execution halted

For the moment, I've simply put contrast.lm in the exports, but I would like
to know what the proper procedure is.

Gregory R. Warnes
Manager, Non-Clinical Statistics
Pfizer Global Research and Development

LEGAL NOTICE\ Unless expressly stated otherwise, this messag...{{dropped}}