[Rd] Re: argument srt for mtext(); was: [R] using text on the x axis ticks rather than numbers

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Sep 8 15:02:34 CEST 2004

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 03:13, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>
>>Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>>[...]
>>>

>>>Sorry, I garbled that.  In S, srt=0 is horizontal whatever side=, and las
>>>is always ignored.  Not that that is documented AFAICS, and it is hard to
>>>remember ....
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>

>>Since S is different for mtext() anyway:
>>We can say that adjustment is determined automatically by las + side, as
>>it already is, and has to be adapted by the user if required.
>>
>>Uwe
>

> Perhaps this is because I have only had one cup of coffee so far this
> morning, but is the bias at this point towards making the change or not
> making the change? I'm a little confuzzled...

As Brian already pointed out, you are not the only "confuzzled" one ...
  at least one of the other "confuzzled" people here has not decided
anything yet. ;-)
If someone is going to force a decision and convinces me, I'll probably
try to provide a patch.

The most problematic point (mentioned by Brian Ripley) is the automatic
settings of the "adj" and "padj" values (related to reading direction,
as of R-2.0.0 alpha). Both have good defaults for parallel and
perpendicular text (related to axis) now, but what happens if srt is
set, and in particluar what happens if
   (srt %% 90) != 0
My suggestion is to use the default settings for *adjustment* ("adj" and
"padj") derived from "las" and "side" as usual - even if *rotation* is
no longer derived from "las" and "side".

Uwe