[Rd] 64 Bit

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 22 13:24:56 CEST 2004

Please read the R FAQ, which does cover this.  You need to distinguish
64-bit OSes from 64-bit hardware (`computers').

R builds on least for the `native' Unix on Alpha, Sparc, HPPA and MIPS
processors (for the last several years each), AIX on PowerPC, Linux on
ia64 (Itanium), x86_64 (aka AMD64 and EM64T etc) and most of these. In
most cases it runs under 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the OSes on those
64-bit hardware.

R does not run under (beta) 64-bit Windows on x86_64 and we have no plans
to port it there, but it does run under 32-bit Windows on that processor.
I am sure it will run on several 64-bit operating systems on Apple
Macintosh's so-called G5 hardware -- I believe we have seen a report that
includes an in-progress version of MacOS 10.4 -- and also several 32-bit
ones.

If you want a prebuilt version you are out of luck except for Debian Linux
on Alpha or ia64, from a quick glance.

Many of us, including several of the core team, use 64-bit Linux on x86_64
as our main computer-intensive resource.

Please using single spacing, not *quadruple* spacing and a reasonable line
length, and do not include HTML as the posting guide asks.

BDR

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Daniel Weicht wrote:

> Hello everybody!

[next para wrapped by BDR]