[Rd] error in plot.dendrogram (PR#7300)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 21 16:12:47 CEST 2004

    Eryk> Hi,

    Eryk> hres <- hclust(smatr,method="single")
    Eryk> hresd<-as.dendrogram(hres)
    Eryk> as.dendrogram(hres)
    Eryk> `dendrogram' with 2 branches and 380 members total, at height 2514.513
    Eryk> plot(hresd,leaflab="none") #<-error here.

definitely no error here.. maybe your graphic window is too
small or otherwise unable to show all the leaf labels?

    Eryk> #the plotted dendrogram is incomplete. The x axis is not drawn.

ha! and why should this be a bug????
Have you RTFHP and looked at its example??
There's never an x-axis in such a plot!

[You really don't want an x-axis overlayed over all the labels]

    Eryk> #The interested reader can download the

    Eryk> save(hresd,file="hres.rda")

    Eryk> #from the following loacation
    Eryk> www.molgen.mpg.de/~wolski/hres.rda

If you send a bug report (and please rather don't..),
it should be reproducible, i.e., I've just wasted my time for

dFile <- "/u/maechler/R/MM/Pkg-ex/stats/wolski-hres.rda"
if(!file.exists(dFile))
    download.file(url ="http://www.molgen.mpg.de/~wolski/hres.rda", dest= dFile)
load(dFile)
hresd
plot(hresd)

----

If you look at this plot I hope you rather see that "single" has
been an extremly unuseful clustering method for this data / dissimilarities,
and you'd rather tried other methods than to which for an
x-axis.

If you really want one (just to see that it doesn't make sense),
you can always add
    axis(1, fg = "red")

Martin