[Rd] Re: [R] R-2.0: roadmap? release statements? plans?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Oct 1 16:35:46 CEST 2004

(Moved from r-help to r-devel)

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:00:05 -0400, "Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com>
wrote :

>Just to keep Valery from thinking that that web page can not be easily
>found:  Go to www.r-project.org and click on `Developer Page' under the
>heading `R Project'.
>
>A suggestion (for CRAN masters?):  On CRAN there is a link to the NEWS file
>for the released version.  Maybe it's a good idea to provide one for
>alpha/beta version (when available) as well?  The Windows-specific NEWS is
>provided for the alpha/beta.

Both the general NEWS file and the windows-specific CHANGES file are
online at <http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html>.
The main problem with that file is that it is the version that was
current at the time of the Windows binary build, not necessarily the
same as the current source file.

To get the very most current one, you want to go to the Subversion
archive,

https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/NEWS  (For major release changes,
e.g. 2.0.0 for now, 2.1.0 after Monday, etc.)

https://svn.r-project.org/R/branches/R-1-9-patches/NEWS (For the
current patches; change to "-2-0-" on Monday.)

I think the reason these links aren't given on the developer page is
that the Subversion archive is relatively new, and we weren't sure
that it could handle the load of being a public resource.  Could that
change now?

Duncan Murdoch