[Rd] Please don't assume a display for package installation

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 30 14:09:29 CET 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:09:23AM +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> SciViews is the latest of several packages that need an X server to
> complete package installation.
>
> Please bear in mind that packages may get installed on a server with no
> display, yet run on client workstations with displays.  If your package is

Or are built in a chroot / batch mode setting without $DISPLAY.  I had two
or three CRAN/BioC packages fail as well when I auto-built over 500 packages
(i.e. all not yet available as Debian binaries) for the newest Quantian
(which is currently being uploaded; takes some 20 to 24 hours on my capped
domestic broadband line).

> intended to start a window when it starts up, please test for a display
> first (e.g. via capabilities("X11")).
>
> There are ways around this (running Xvfb, arranging a remote display) but
> they are tedious at best (and few machines come with Xvfb installed).

Yes, would be nice to fix this.

Dirk

--
If your hair is standing up, then you are in extreme danger.
      -- http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfp/cockpit-phys/fp1ex3.htm