[Rd] pausing between plots - waiting for graphics input

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 30 12:27:03 CET 2004

{I have changed the subject to match this interesting side thread}

    TL> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
    >>
    >> Another that deals only with the original graphics problem is to have
    >> par(ask=T) wait for input to the graphics window, rather than to the
    >> console.  This has the advantage that the graphics window probably has
    >> the focus, so a simple Enter there could satisfy it.
    >>

    TL> I like this one.  I have often found it irritating that
    TL> I have to switch the focus back to the console (which
    TL> means uncovering the console window) to get the next
    TL> graph.

I agree.
Note that this is not windows-specific really.  Rather, this
should be applicable to all devices which support minimal mouse
interaction, i.e. at least those that support locator(),
ideally just all those listed in  dev.interactive

However, I'm not at all sure that this should be done with
par(ask = TRUE)  which works on all devices, not just
interactive ones.
Rather, we probably should a new par() {and gpar() for grid !}
option for the new feature,
maybe something like [g]par(wait_mouseclick = TRUE)

Martin