[Rd] Custom installer [was: Version names]

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Nov 29 12:06:35 CET 2004

Hello,
The discussion about version names leads me to the following question
(sorry, I change the message title):
Is it possible to enforce the user to select an option during R
installation? For instance, I want R to be installed with the registry entry
option set up and, let's say, with tcltk files installed. How do I ensure
this?

Well, under Windows, Inno Setup that is used as the installer is plenty of
resources for that! You have lots of command line arguments, including
/SAVEINF and LOADINF/ that use a custom information file about the options.
Then, you can run the setup silently with /SP-, /SILENT or /VERYSILENT from
the command line, thus, from a batch script.

Ultimately, it is possible to write an installer that will install R with
several options, with additional packages, etc... very easily without having
to rebuid the original R installer. You need both the rwXXXX.exe installer
(about 23Mb), and your custom installer (let's say with a couple of
additional packages, weighting a few hundreds of kb) downloaded in the same
directory. You run your custom installer, which in turn installs R silently
with the right options (it even can detect if R is already installed or
not).

There is a real interest for this approach for projects like R Commander, or
SciViews-R. Indeed, it targets beginners and installation should be as
straigthforward as possible. Currently, you have to (1) install R (2) with
specific options, (3) install additional packages, and (4) switch Rgui in
SDI mode under Windows... before you can start working in R Commander or
SciViews-R. Definitely too many tasks for a beginner!

So, I will experiment a little bit with Inno Setup in this direction and
intend to propose a web page about this topic, for Windows.

Now, my two questions:
1) Does anyone has some experience using Inno Setup this way?
2) How to solve the problem of custom installation this way under
Linux/Unix? [with a batch script, I presume, but does somebody have a
skeleton for that: installing R with specific options + several additional
packages at once].

Thanks,

Philippe Grosjean

..............................................<°}))><........
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
 ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
 ) ) ) ) )   6, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
 ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.33.12
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
 ) ) ) ) )