[Rd] str() resets class for environments

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Tue Nov 23 22:17:29 CET 2004

Neither should one set attributes on environment! See thread "The class
attribute on an environment seems buggy (PR#2159)" from October 14, 2002;
here https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2002-October/025197.html and
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2002-October/025203.html. John
Chambers gave the following example and explanation:

"Any attribute of environments, not just the class, can be killed by
operating on the object "locally" in a function.

Example:

R> f <- function(x){ y <- x; attr(y, "foo") <- NULL; y}
R> ev <- new.env()
R> attr(ev, "foo") <- "bar"
R> ev
<environment: 0x8b515d4>
attr(,"foo")
[1] "bar"
R> f(ev)
<environment: 0x8b515d4>
R> ev
<environment: 0x8b515d4>

The reason is that the C routine `duplicate' does not duplicate an
environment  OR its attributes."

To extend an environment into new class, the solution is to wrap it up in an
object of another basic data type, for instance as an element in a list or
as an attribute to NA, and set the class on the latter instead. Example:

 object <- NA
 attr(object, ".env") <- new.env()
 class(object) <- "MyClass"

I do exactly this in my root class Object in the R.oo package. At the time,
I found accessing attributes to be a little bit faster than accessing
elements in list (plus NA objects are smaller than any other object).

Thus, I want to raise a warning on this, because after introducing the
"$.environment" and "$<-.environment" in R v1.9.1, the above problem is
likely to show up more frequently; it is really tempting and it may take
awhile before you detect problems. Should attr()<-, attributes()<-,
class()<- give an error when applied to an environment? I see no reason why
not.

Best wishes

Henrik