[Rd] Re: Method dispatch S3/S4 through optimize()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 19 13:56:55 CET 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, roger koenker wrote:

> I am far from an expert on S4 method dispatch, so at the risk of
> embarrassing myself I will just indicate how the det() function is
> written in SparseM now in the hope that someone else will see the source
> of the problem:
>
> setGeneric("det")
> setMethod("det","matrix",get("det", pos=NULL, mode= "function"))
> setMethod("det","matrix.csr", function(x, ...) det(chol(x))^2)
> setMethod("det","matrix.csr.chol", function(x, ...) x at det)
>
> The Cholesky function chol in SparseM was recently extended slightly to
> compute this determinant as an additional component, so if the argument
> is already of the matrix.csr.chol class det() just extracts this
> component, otherwise it tries to do the cholesky, or defaults to the
> base function.

As I read the SparseM code, it is following the specification, and if
there was something wrong, the simple example 1) would not have worked
either. But it does, so something changes in the context of where a
function like det() and chol() is called from, here through optimize(),
that sends it to the wrong place based on assuming that the class is
unknown.

I'll try to make an example that doesn't depend on spdep, just on SparseM
and optimize().

This is frustrating, because with Ord's trick of using matrices similar to
symmetric, the SparseM route will be very useful for most situations,
even though it requires strictly symmetric matrices. So your provision of
det() for "matrix.csr" is very useful, once we sort out this strange
behaviour.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand