[Rd] modification of BATCH

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Thu Nov 18 18:58:07 CET 2004

If you want to avoid typing, why not just use a shell that offers file-name
completion?  Lots do.  That would seem to address the problem in the place
where it arises.

I don't think it would be a good idea to make R try to guess whether it
really should use the second argument after BATCH as an output file.  This
type of complication can have unintended and unanticipated side effects --
"Do What I Mean" programming tools have not been a huge success because
it's impossible to always accurately guess what a person means.  I don't
know about other people, but I use scripts to generate scripts all the time
(for generating commands to run experiments with different sets of parameters).

-- Tony Plate