[Rd] UseMethod call with no arguments - solved, I think

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 16 13:36:29 CET 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> Hmmm, to follow up on my own question; it is likely that I have
> misunderstood the update note. Now, I read it as

> foo <- function(x, ...) UseMethod()
>
> is deprecated and that

That _is_ what it said.

> foo <- function(x, ...) UseMethod("foo", x)
>
> ( or foo <- function(x, ...) UseMethod("foo") )
>
> should be used.
>
> My concern/interpretation was that
>
> bar <- function(...) UseMethod("bar")
>
> is deprecated (where I saw "..." as the "arguments"). Reading ?UseMethod

I don't read that as being supported, and it does not work in S.  `...' is
not strictly an argument of a function, and is usually documented as
`further arguments'.

> more carefully (it still says) - "If it is called with just one argument,
> the class of the first argument of the enclosing function is used as
> 'object': unlike S this is the actual argument passed and not the current
> value of the object of that name." - I see that the above should still be
> fine.

> So, now the note makes perfectly sense and it is *not* a "big step".

However, removing undocumented features can happen at any time.  There is
danger in using unusual constructions that may be allowed according to
some particular reading of some of the documentation.  In particular,
consider the following

> bar <- function(..., x) UseMethod("bar")
> bar.foo <- function(..., x) print("foo")
> x <- structure(1, class="foo")
> bar(x) # arg is part of ...
[1] "foo"
> bar(x=x) # arg is matched to x
[1] "foo"
> bar(1, x=x)
Error in bar(1, x) : no applicable method for "bar"
> bar <- function(y, x, ...) UseMethod("bar")
> bar(x) # matches y
[1] "foo"
> bar(x=x) # matches x
[1] "foo"

and I don't think there is any intention that such behaviour will
necessarily continue (the last one does look like an error).  The
rules seem not to be written down clearly enough.