[Rd] Re: [R] R works on Fedora Core 3

Wed Nov 10 19:41:00 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 08:05 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> [Moved to R-devel.]

> Second problem: gcc 3.4.2 does not work `just fine': it has a pesky bug
> that causes several CRAN packages to fail/give incorrect answers.  Now
> Linux distros have a very nasty habit of distributing bug-enhanced
> versions of major software, so this may be fixed in FC3 but in any case
> gcc-3.4.3 is now out and a worthwhile upgrade.  (Apparently Mandrake
> backported the bug to `3.4.1' ....)
>
> I would recommend either installing from the sources or building from the
> SRPM.  Hopefully by the end of the week we will have some i686 machines on
> FC3 (only x86_64 so far) and so be able to make RPMs available.

I am finally up and running on FC3 this morning. Took a while to
download the DVD ISO via Bittorrent...

Using:

# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)

I installed:

Version 2.0.1 beta (2004-11-10)

from source this morning.

It passes make check-all without problems.

Prof. Ripley, is there a particular CRAN package upon which I can test
the bug issues that you refer to above to confirm their presence or
absence on FC3?

> > (The graphics window got smaller, but I'm sure there is a setting
> > for that.)
>
> If you mean the x11() device window, it should by default have a 7" square
> canvas.  If it does not, there is a bug in your X11 configuration (which
> would not at all surprise me, as so far none of my systems reports the ppi
> of the screen accurately, and some have been way off).

On my system (a Dell 5150 laptop, nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200 with the
nVidia 6629 driver, an internal 15" 1600x1200 panel and an external 20"
Dell 2001FP 1600x1200 panel in non-xinerama dual-display mode), the
X11() device comes up at 7" x 7" on both displays.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz