[Rd] idea (PR#7345)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Nov 6 02:00:15 CET 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:01:01 -0800, Byron Ellis
<ellis at stat.harvard.edu> wrote:

>The most obvious, and by far most difficult route, would be to make
>graphics devices first class citizens (IIRC Duncan TL has brought this
>up elsewhere) wherein you would aDev <- edit(aDev). That brings things
>to the device level (what you want) and a static device could act
>accordingly (i.e. not invoke a redraw). Obviously the most difficult as
>it would be a massive upheaval of base graphics (I suppose all of this
>could all be grouped under a category of "event-based streams,"
>graphics events, XML SAX events, file events--aka connections, etc.
>Doesn't CL or Scheme have something along those lines?). But, as
>mentioned in the thread, pretty speculative but you never can tell what
>someone might hunker down and implement :-)

Take a look at grid.  I think it's more likely something like this
would be built on top of grid than on top of base graphics.

Or, if you want to try it:

Take a look at grid.  I think you'll find it a lot easier starting
there than starting with base graphics.

Duncan Murdoch