[Rd] stdout == 'Terminal' or 'File' {was 'bad interaction ...'}

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 12 10:04:05 CEST 2004

First, on an R console, stdout() is normally neither a `normal file' nor a
`user terminal'.  Let alone under an embedded R ... or use under ESS
(where for you, Martin, it is neither).

On vanilla R under Unix-alikes (and Rterm but not otherwise) what stdout
is is a function of the C runtime system.  It's up to the C system if it
tells you what stdout has been redirected to, and if it can tell you
whether it is a terminal, or a pty (as used under some versions of Emacs)
or a file or a socket ....  The information is at best unreliable.

interactive() is as good a test as we have, and I think if a better test
is required in the interactive case, the user should be asked.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk