[Rd] cbind/rbind fail on matrixes containing lists (PR#6702)

Warnes, Gregory R gregory_r_warnes at groton.pfizer.com
Wed Mar 31 20:54:27 CEST 2004

Hello Brian,

I was, in fact, using a matrix containing "list" elements.

I did fail to provide the definition of my 'list matrix'.  It was simply:

> m1 <- matrix(list(NA),4,4)
> m1
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4]
[1,] NA   NA   NA   NA
[2,] NA   NA   NA   NA
[3,] NA   NA   NA   NA
[4,] NA   NA   NA   NA
> class(m1)
[1] "matrix"
> class(m1[1,1])
[1] "list"
> cbind(m1,m1)
Error in cbind(...) : cannot create a matrix from these types
> rbind(m1,m1)
Error in rbind(...) : cannot create a matrix from these types

> It appears to be intentional (line 950 of bind.c and the actual cbind
> code), in which case this is a documentation bug and I have
> altered the
> docs.

Odd.

> Why not class(m1)?  It should be the same ....

But it is not:

> class(m1)
[1] "matrix"
> class(m1[1,1])
[1] "list"

-Greg

LEGAL NOTICE\ Unless expressly stated otherwise, this messag...{{dropped}}