[Rd] cygwin tar?

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Mar 18 18:44:42 MET 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:40:53 -0700, Tony Plate
<tplate at blackmesacapital.com> wrote :

>Should I take it then that following the instructions in
>src/gnuwin32/INSTALL should allow one to use the .exe's from tools.zip
>inside a cygwin bash shell?  Following those instructions used to work for
>me, but it no longer does -- I get the cygwin1.dll conflict error no matter
>what I do.  The only thing that works for me is to remove the cygwin1.dll
>that came with tools.zip (and thus use the cygwin1.dll that came with
>cygwin.)  I wonder if something has changed in either Windows 2000 or in
>cygwin that makes cygwin1.dll more persistent than it used to be?

I also remove the cygwin1.dll from the tools directory.  A few months
ago I had some other errors occurring after a cygwin upgrade; I can't
remember what they were.

The response I got to a question about it on a Cygwin list was that it
was impossible for a newer cygwin1.dll not to work with older
programs, since they always maintain compatibility; since I had
evidence that this was not true, but not time to try to argue about
it, I basically gave up on the problem.

Right now I'm using version 1.5.5-1 of the cygwin package; I believe
the current one is 1.5.8-1.  I'm also using 1.2.2-1 of the cygutils
package, and the current one is 1.2.5-1.

Since this combination works, I'd rather not upgrade.

Duncan Murdoch