[Rd] cygwin tar?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Thu Mar 18 18:41:40 MET 2004

Hasn't this to do with the fact that cygwin1.dll (dynamically linked
library) is a shared library and it is loaded into memory in a first
come, first served style? Thus, if you load Cygwin's default
cygwin1.dll by for instance starting a Cygwin shell (or even
background processes) and then try to load Rtools cygwin1.dll, the
latter will complain that there is already a loaded library? Similar,
vice versa.

I haven't done my background research so I do not know the above for
sure, but that is how I think about it. Comments anyone?

Example on WinXP Pro: I start a Cygwin bash shell in one window and
open a MSDOS prompt with the PATH setup such that B.R's Rtools are
used exclusively (details in my email on 2004-03-17 @ 14.28) and then
type 'sh' (starts "Rtools"/bin/sh - not "Cygwin"/bin/sh) I get

c:\>sh
C:\Progra~1\R\Rtools\sh.exe: *** shared version mismatch detected -
0x75BE006D/0x18A20043.
You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.

because the other DLL is already loaded. This does not happen if I do
*not* open the Cygwin shell first. Vice versa: Closing the first one
and "Rtools"/bin/sh works fine. Now Cygwin/bin/sh fails to start.

To see which cygwin1.dll that is loaded one can run msinfo32.exe,
select Software Environment -> Loaded Modules and do "View | Refresh".
A standard Cygwin/bin/sh shell will load:

 cygwin1  1.5.7-cr-0x9e  1,06 MB (1 109 385 bytes)

whereas a Rtools/bin/sh shell (or R CMD build et al) will load

 cygwin  1.3.17          922,82 KB (944 968 bytes)

So Tony, do you have a Cygwin/cygwin1.dll loaded in memory when you
try to use Rtools?

Cheers

Henrik

In