[Rd] Re: make.search.html() without write permission in R.home() (PR#6663)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 12:29:47 MET 2004

We'll fix the error message (it has been fixed once before, but it must
have got broken in another fix), but see the rw-FAQ.  Your private library
area will not show up in the HTML search index even if you had write
permission: that index is only for the main library (used in the correct
sense).

We need better information to be able to understand (let alone fix) the
final part.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 bates at stat.wisc.edu wrote:

> Brian Yandell <byandell at wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > Folks,
> > I am working on a Windows system which is part of the UW-Madison
> > statistics LAN. R is maintained on a file system to which I cannot write.
> > I tried installing a package and got the following interplay:
>
> Set the lib argument to install.packages to a directory in which you
> do have write permissions.  From ?install.packages
>      install.packages(pkgs, lib, CRAN = getOption("CRAN"),
>                       contriburl = contrib.url(CRAN),
>                       method, available = NULL, destdir = NULL,
>                       installWithVers = FALSE)
>
> lib,instlib: character string giving the library directory where to
>           install the packages.
>

> > > install.packages(choose.files('',filters=Filters[c('zip','All'),]),
> > .libPaths()[1], CRAN = NULL)
> > updating HTML package descriptions
> > Error in file(f.tg, open = "w") : unable to open connection
> > In addition: Warning messages:
> > 1: cannot update HTML package index in: make.packages.html(lib.loc)
> > 2: cannot open file `W:\unsup\R\i386_win2k/doc/html/search/index.txt'
> > > link.html.help()
> > Error in file(f.tg, open = "w") : unable to open connection
> > In addition: Warning messages:
> > 1: cannot update HTML package index in: make.packages.html(lib.loc)
> > 2: cannot open file `W:\unsup\R\i386_win2k/doc/html/search/index.txt'
> > > .libPaths()
> > [1] "P:/stat/yandell/public/statgen/R" "W:/unsup/R/i386_win2k/library"
> > > Sys.getenv("R_LIBS")
> >                                  R_LIBS
> > "P:\\stat\\yandell\\public\\statgen\\R"
> >
> > This broke in make.search.html(), where it tried to overwrite the search
> > file
> > 	W:\unsup\R\i386_win2k/doc/html/search/index.txt
> > which was generated from
> > 	file.path(R.home(), "doc/html/search/index.txt")
> >
> > My library loaded fine, and the flat file help works fine, but there are
> > no HTML info on my local libraryies in the R_LIBS area.

There should be, if you mean *packages*.  What exactly does not work?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk