[Rd] can you library(MASS) with R 1.9.0?

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Fri Mar 5 00:56:50 MET 2004

Thank you!

I had not used tools/rsync-recommended -- I just coped the rsync command
from the R FAQ (i.e., rsync -rC --delete rsync.R-project.org::r-devel R).

The tools/rsync-recommended command downloaded the various recommended
packages.

However, to get this I had to get the latest version of the tools (out of
<http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/tools.zip>http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/Rtools/tools.zip),
and after changing my path to use it I get the dreaded "You have multiple
copies of cygwin1.dll on your system" error, even though I have set my path
so that I have only one copy of cygwin1.dll in my path (as far as I can see):

$ type -a cygwin1.dll
cygwin1.dll is /cygdrive/c/R/tools/cygwin1.dll
$ ls
c:\R\tools\ls.exe: *** fhandler size version mismatch detected - 0x70/0x6C.
You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.

# this is the path I'm had for the commands above -- this command run with
a different PATH so that it can run
$ echo $RPATH | tr ':' '\012'
.
/cygdrive/c/R/tools
/cygdrive/c/MinGW/bin
//jacona/home/tplate/depot/Spluslibs/scripts
//jacona/home/tplate/scripts
//jacona/home/data/bin
/cygdrive/c/texmf/miktex/bin
/cygdrive/c/Perl/bin
/cygdrive/c/jdk1.3/bin
/cygdrive/c/tap/scripts
/cygdrive/c/gnu/gnuplot
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
/cygdrive/c/WINNT
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Insightful/splus61/cmd
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Insightful/splus61net/server/cmd
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/QAI/MarketQA/Bin
/cygdrive/e/marketqa/Bin
/cygdrive/c/marketqa/Bin
/cygdrive/c/PVSW/Bin
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/Bin
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/MSDev98/Bin
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
/cygdrive/c/WINNT
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/WBEM
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Perforce
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Html Help Workshop
/cygdrive/c/gstools/gs/gs7.03/bin
/cygdrive/c/R/rw1080/bin
.

(I'm running under Windows 2000).

Any suggestions on how to get things working again are much appreciated.

-- Tony Plate