[Rd] Copyright issues question

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Sun Jun 20 04:02:52 CEST 2004

On Jun 16, 2004, at 12:08 PM, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

> P.S.: I am also concerned about JGR, because it is also not GPL. Any
> comment?

All C code in JGR is GPL. Tha Java parts talking to R directly (JavaGD,
Rengine) are, too. From what you posted here this seems to be
sufficient. As of the other Java code, well, that is a good question -
I guess we have two purely practical reasons for not-GPLing it ATM: one
is that we have to check whether we're allowed to do so and the other
is that we still want to incorporate some major changes until the
official release (I'm not that much worried about the GUI itself but
the other parts). I'm sure the licensing issue will be sorted out
before the official release.

A side note: with xGD and a slightly modifiied JRI it is possible to
use *any* (incl. commercial) application with R as backend (as it's
even now legally possible with Rserve), so I don't think this is an
issue anyway (at least for JGR).

Cheers,
Simon