[Rd] using "= matrix (...)" in .C calls

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jun 17 18:39:22 CEST 2004

clayton.springer at pharma.novartis.com writes:

> Apparently the lines like:
>
>         dsplit =  matrix(double(1),  nsplit,3),
>
> Cause C arrays to be pulled over into an R matrix. However I can't figure
> out the syntax from context nor can I find documentation.

Actually no. It *creates* an R matrix (nsplit x 3) and then passes the
block of numeric data as a 1d array of nsplit. Coming back from C this
will still be an R matrix but possibly with new values inside.
help(matrix) should tell you the details. The double(1) is really just
a silly way of writing 0.0 (it specifies a double precision vector of
length 1, and the value will default to 0); matrix() will
automagically replicate it to fill the matrix.

> I have an array which was created and exists in the "C" part of the code,
> but I can not figure out how to pull it over to the "R" side.
>
> The array was ALLOCed as 1-D array (of size nodes * variables), and
> ultimately I would like to get into matrix of nodes * variables.
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.

You cannot pull, only push, when dealing with .C (I suspect that's not
quite true but it's a close approximation). The canonical way is to
dimension the array on the R side and pass it as an argument to the C
side.