[Rd] Discussion of the GPL on Groklaw

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 22 14:47:11 CEST 2004

I'm not looking to start a discussion of the GPL on R-devel; I'm just
giving a reference because the subject of the GPL, the license under
which R is issued, has been brought up on this list.

If you want to follow some of the legal discussion of the Free Software
Foundation's General Public License (GPL), the web site groklaw.net is
required reading.  One reason is because Pamela Jones (PJ as she is
known there), the primary author, writes so well.  Even if I didn't
agree with her opinions I would enjoy her writing.

Recently a lawyer wrote an article for LinuxInsider criticizing the GPL.
  PJ rebuts the article in

One thing to realize about legal discussions of the GPL is that the
whole concept is so foreign to the typical corporate lawyer that they
frequently misconstrue it, as you will see in PJ's comments about the
article.  Also, some proprietary software companies have taken to
spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) about the GPL and many
people take such material at face value.