[Rd] RE: [Rcom-l] rcom 0.97 available for download

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Jul 21 16:40:46 CEST 2004

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 09:39:29AM -0400, Liaw, Andy wrote:
>
>>Would it make sense to have platform specific packages in a separate area on
>>CRAN?  I don't know of anything other than Windows that understand COM.

The question is: What exactly is platform-specific?

> Yup, and 'core' CRAN contains at least one Windows-only package: rbugs [ as
> I found when working on a script to automagically build Debian packages from
> CPAN packages, the script is a modified version of Albrecht's script ]

The author told me that rbugs is intended to work with WinBUGS under
wine on a linux system  (whereas I'm pretty sure R2WinBUGS is capable -
at least with minimal modification - to do it as well).

> So apart from moving arch-specific packages into their own little corners [
> bad, balkanization ] we could extend the Description file and flag the
> architecture restriction there.
>

>>Having the source for rcom in the general area seems a bit strange to me.
>

> Well there is the rbugs precedent.

If you say rbugs is platform specific, then also R2WinBUGS, mimR and
probably others as well.

Also note that maintainer(s) of binary packages will have a lot of work
to merge the different repositories.

Where's the point not to have just this one source repository related to
platform dependency?

Uwe