[Rd] rsync -> cvs down?

Mon Jul 19 22:40:17 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 14:57, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Marc> Uwe,
>     Marc> That did it.  Using https: I am now able to do a checkout.
>
>     Marc> It seems to be slow at the moment, but the files are coming through.
> 	  ---------------------------------
>
> that should have improved now.
>
> The default apache2 configuration (for RH Enterprise) had
> 'KeepAlive Off'  which I now have replaced with 'On'.
>
> For this to take effect, I had to restart the server --
> this pretty brutally terminates all running svn requests, which
> in this case lead to the need for "svnadmin recover"ing the
> archive... Well, well, we're getting there eventually.
> If anybody has good experiences to share about
> Apache performance tweaking, please let me hear.
>
> But note that the idea (of the server setup) really was to serve
> R-core (and maybe ESS-core and maybe some really small few-person
> collaboration projects).  If too many people (such as "hundreds
> of R-devel readers") are going at the server it will become
> pretty unusable, and I will have to make it accessible only
> "non-anonymously"  {and find another one doing rsync...} eventually.
>
> Martin Maechler

Martin,

To play 'devil's advocate', if you want to limit access for the group(s)
that you have identified above, you may wish to consider having
references to the use of rsync/CVS (now subversion) access removed from
the CRAN Source Code Page (ie. http://cran.r-project.org/sources.html)
and from pages 1 - 2 of the R-admin manual.

The rest of us can always download the daily stable, patched or devel
tarballs periodically, though of course losing the 'incremental
download' functionality by doing so. I am not sure that most of us folks
need to have access to hourly updated source code.

It's a question of being proactive or reactive...

Of course, now that I have stepped face first into it today, it's in the
archives...  ;-)

Best regards,

Marc