[Rd] Re: tail(<matrix>) column numbers

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Mon Jul 12 14:05:58 CEST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:06:44 +0100, Patrick Burns
<pburns at pburns.seanet.com> wrote :

>I disagree with Martin's assertion that "tail" is not useful
>for programming.  It has a few features relative to the
>do-it-yourself approach:

Me too actually.  I think tail() has two uses, interactive and
programmatic.  I think it would be better for interactive use if
the row names were added, and only slightly worse for programmatic use
if an option were given to turn them off.

In interactive use, I find it unhelpful to be told that something is
in row 3 when it's really in row 47.

Duncan Murdoch