[Rd] OS X problem with DSTEIN in IGLS code

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Sat Jul 3 18:59:26 CEST 2004

[cabledoc110:~] deleeuw% gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1660)

[cabledoc110:~] deleeuw% g77 -v
Reading specs from
/usr/local/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.3.0/3.5.0/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --enable-threads=posix
--enable-languages=f77
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.5.0 20040429 (experimental)

I have tried xlf as well, but no success so far.

On Jul 3, 2004, at 3:48, stefano iacus wrote:

> If I remember well, Jan is using g77 3.5(!) from KHanna page? I'm I
> right Jan?
> We have to solve this g77 issues on Mac OS X soon as many packages
> doesn't pass make check when they contain fortran code.
> I hope I can make some advance with xlf to see if I can manage to fix
> most of these.
> stefano
>
> On Jul 3, 2004, at 9:59 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>>
>>> 1. R-devel on OS X  aborts when the code below  is run after spitting
>>> out the
>>> message

>>> Parameter 5 to routine DSTEIN was incorrect
>>> Mac OS BLAS parameter error in DSTEIN, parameter #0, (unavailable),
>>> is 0
>>>
>>> 2. I compiled R-patched using the included BLAS and Lapack, although
>>> Brian says this is impossible on OS X, because they are in FORTRAN
>>> (??).
>>
>> It depends on the compiler build.  The version some (most?) people
>> have of
>> the gcc tools has a -lg2c that cannot be linked into a dylib.  You
>> seem to
>> have one that does but no one else has reported success.  Only a week
>> ago
>> someone reported being unable to build with the default configure
>> settings
>> on MacOS X for exactly this reason.
>>
>>> This version of R runs the code below just fine.
>>>
>>> 3. So there seems to be a difference between the implementation of
>>> DSTEIN in vecLib.framework and in other BLAS versions. The error
>>> message comes from vecLib.
>>
>> Correction: DSTEIN is part of LAPACK, not BLAS
>>
>> In short, that is a MacOS error, for there is a reference
>> implementation
>> of LAPACK. It is compounded by an error in the error message.  Have
>> you
>> reported it to `MacOS-bugs' yet?  Please do so.
>>
>>> 4. To build libRlapack.dylib on OS X add the flags "-flat_namespace
>>> -undefined suppress" to the link.
>>
>> That's not what works for other people.  Why is is necessary for you?
>>
>> --
>> Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>> Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>> University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
>> 1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu