[Rd] Top-level code in packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 3 07:30:36 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> Brian Ripley stated that in the future it will not be a good idea to
> have top-level code in R packages other than assignments.  There is one
> important exception, though it leads instantly to an assignment.  To
> maintain compatibility across multiple platforms (R, S-Plus, and more
> than one version of each, Windows, Linux, etc.) I frequently use if( )
> statements to conditionally define functions depending on the operating
> system and the version of R or S-Plus in effect.

That _is_ a top-level assignment. `Defining' a function is actually
assigning a value to a symbol, and code inside if, for, etc is executed at
top level.

I prefer to write

foo <- if(tools:::.OStype() == "windows") {...} else {...}

for conditional `definitions' precisely because it is clearer that is what
is going on.

BTW, if you want to test the OS you can't do it with .Platform$OS.type and
allow cross-building, hence the test illustrated.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk