[Rd] PDF text strangeness (PR#7043)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 22:18:02 CEST 2004

Where is the bug here?  Please read the R FAQ and learn what is required
in a bug report.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 wwsprague at ucdavis.edu wrote:

> I have noticed a strange little bug/feature:  I often create pdf's of
> plots, then edit them in Adobe Illustrator.  Generally this works great,
> but whenever I have text that is aligned vertically (along the y-axis
> usually), the text is written out as lots of individual objects.  When
> the text is horizontal (x-axis, other stuff), it is all one object.  I
> would prefer one object per label as that is a good deal easier to edit.

There is nothing to reproduce here.  Hint: if you look at the source code
and find PDF_Text you will see it only writes one object for each piece of
text.  I've just run an example, and each piece of vertical text (ylab
and axis labels) in

plot(1:10, ylab="foo")

is one object.

> I am using Adobe Illustrator CS 11.0.0 in windows.

You need to read the PDF code to determine what has actually been written
as an object: Illustrator's native format is not PDF and I suspect the
issue is in its PDF->AI converter.

> <<insert bug report here>>

None reported!

> --please do not edit the information below--
>
> Version:
>  platform = i386-pc-linux-gnu
>  arch = i386
>  os = linux-gnu
>  system = i386, linux-gnu
>  status = alpha

Please, use a released version of R for bug reports.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk