[Rd] Developmental version of Matrix package for R-1.9.0

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Jan 29 23:50:35 MET 2004

Builds OK on OS X, except for

1. The static archives foo.a are not ranlibbed, so you have to do
that manually.

2. Cannot build Matrix.so because it uses flat namespaces and
has multiple definitions of some symbols.

I solved 2 by the usual hack, which is to add the -Xlinker -m flag
to the link by the gcc driver, but the preferred solutions would be
to use external in the code. Or, even better, to switch the Darwin
build to two-level namespaces.

On Jan 29, 2004, at 14:35, Douglas Bates wrote:

> I recently uploaded a developmental version of the Matrix package,
> Matrix_0.6-1.tar.gz, to CRAN where it is in the
> src/contrib/1.9.0/Other directory.  It requires some of the packages
> that will appear in R-1.9.0.
>
> This version marks a major redesign of the Matrix package to use S4
> classes and methods and to incorporate sparse matrix manipulations
> using routines from TAUCS (http://www.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/taucs/),
> Metis (http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~karypis/metis/) and UMFPACK
> (http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/umfpack).
>
> Although this package is very much a work in progress and the
> documentation is, shall we say, sketchy, there are two vignettes
> included with the package.  One of these illustrates the performance
> of different ways of performing least squares calculations, using an
> example from Koenker and Ng's SparseM package.  The results are, I
> think, impressive.
>
> Although not documented in this release, there are the beginnings of
> routines to represent large, sparse, pairwise crosstabulations as
> sparse matrices.  I am using these in calculations for mixed-effects
> models and I understand that others may be interested in them for
> other applications.  I would be happy to correspond off-list if you
> would like a preview of the capabilities.
>
> Metis is a package for partioning unstructured graphs, partitioning
> meshes, and computing fill-reducing orderings of sparse matrices.
> Although the entire source code for Metis is included in the Matrix
> package I am only using one of the functions for computing
> fill-reducing orderings.  Perhaps those who are working on graphical
> models may want to look at some of the other capabilities of Metis.
> Certainly it provides standard ways of representing and manipulating
> unstructured graphs.
>
> I've only compiled and tested the package on Linux_x86 environments.
> I will be interested in whether Uwe is successful in building it for
> Windows and whether there are problems on 64-bit machines.
> --
> Douglas Bates                            bates at stat.wisc.edu
> Statistics Department                    608/262-2598
> University of Wisconsin - Madison
> http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~bates/

===
Jan de Leeuw; Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of Statistics;
Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
Software
US mail: 8130 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1554
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
homepage: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu