[Rd] Another wishlist for R

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Mon Jan 26 15:42:24 MET 2004

On 26 Jan 2004 15:17:01 +0100, Peter Dalgaard

>Either setup so that cat() will be used to print it (add class + print
>method) or return noquote(....) The latter will give this effect:
>
>> noquote("function (x, y = NULL, type = \"p\", xlim = NULL, ylim = NULL, ")
>[1] function (x, y = NULL, type = "p", xlim = NULL, ylim = NULL,
>
>i.e. include line numbers.

I think this produces a nice display:

> tail.function
function (x, n = 6) {
    lines <- matrix(deparse(x),ncol=1)
    rownames(lines) <- 1:nrow(lines)
    colnames(lines) <- ''
    noquote(tail(lines,n=n))
}

> tail(plot.default)

36         box(...)
37     if (ann)
38         title(main = main, sub = sub, xlab = xlab, ylab = ylab,
40     invisible()
41 }

Unfortunately, I doubt if people would really want the result to be a
matrix, so maybe a new class is what is needed.

Duncan Murdoch