[Rd] S3, S4, namespace

Heywood, Giles Giles.Heywood at CommerzbankIB.com
Thu Jan 8 16:44:55 MET 2004

Thanks for the tips so far.  I have modified the example so that

(a) I do not define an S4 method for print [I use summary instead, which
gets similar treatment in mle as far as I can see]

(b) I do not do use the 'import(methods)' directive  [I previously did this
because John Chambers explicitly and as point number 1 stated that this was
required, in his email dated 6th September - actually I seem to get the same
results either way]

Nevertheless I get the same behaviour when trying to access a generic method
defined in one package [barpkg in my example] and imported into a second
package [wazpkg in my example].  If I require() the package I get the
behaviour I expect.

- Giles

#the first bit which is fine------------------

#the .R file for package barpkg

setClass("bar",representation("numeric"))

setMethod("summary",signature(object="bar"),
    function(object,...)
        {
        print("summary method for bar")
        summary(object at .Data,...)
        }
    )

setGeneric("barprint",useAsDefault=print)
setMethod("barprint",signature(x="bar"),
    function(x,...)
        {
        print("barprint method for bar")
        print(x at .Data,...)
        }
    )

#the NAMESPACE file for package barpkg

exportMethods(barprint,summary)
exportClasses("bar")

#in R

> require(barpkg)
[1] TRUE
> x <- new("bar",1:5)
> summary(x)
[1] "summary method for bar"
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
      1       2       3       3       4       5
> barprint(x)
[1] "barprint method for bar"
[1] 1 2 3 4 5

#now the bit which is has been puzzling to me ------------

#the .R file for package wazpkg

wazsummary <- function(x)
    {
    summary(new("bar",x))
    }

wazbarprint <- function(x)
    {
    barprint(new("bar",x))
    }

#the NAMESPACE file for package wazpkg

import(barpkg)
importMethodsFrom(barpkg)
importClassesFrom(barpkg)
export(wazsummary,wazbarprint)

#in R

> require(wazpkg)
[1] TRUE
> wazbarprint(1:5)
[1] "barprint method for bar"
[1] 1 2 3 4 5
> wazsummary(1:5)
[1] "summary method for bar"
Error in .setMethodsForDispatch(f, fdef, resetMlist) :
        Internal error: did not get a valid generic function object for
function "summary"
Error in summary(object at .Data, ...) : S language method selection got an
error when called from internal dispatch for function "summary"

#HOWEVER... -----------------------

> require(barpkg)
[1] TRUE
> require(wazpkg)
[1] TRUE
> wazbarprint(1:5)
[1] "barprint method for bar"
[1] 1 2 3 4 5
> wazsummary(1:5)
[1] "summary method for bar"
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
      1       2       3       3       4       5

-----------------------------

platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386
os       mingw32
system   i386, mingw32
status
major    1
minor    8.1
year     2003
month    11
day      21
language R

I use the following:

Rcmd install --doc="none"  --save wazpkg