[Rd] save() size in XDR

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Thu Feb 26 17:58:40 MET 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:21:05 -0800 (PST), Nathan Whitehouse
<nlwhitehouse at yahoo.com> wrote :

>Dear R-devel,
>
>  Is there a way to find the size in bytes of a save()
>command --before-- the file has been saved?

I don't think so, though you can guess:  integers are stored in 4
bytes, floats in 8, etc.

One way to solve this problem would be to create a connection that did
nothing except keep track of a file position, then do the save to that
connection.  However, it's not easy to define new connection types.
Might be a nice package to write to allow such a thing.

Duncan Murdoch