[Rd] Script editor for Windows GUI

Marsland, John John.Marsland at CommerzbankIB.com
Thu Feb 26 11:58:51 MET 2004

Simon,

This is very interesting and very much in keeping with the direct I woudl
like to take with my own work. We have several Java components that have a
realtime event-driven data stream and would very much like to integrate
these with R using something like the callback mechanism in SJava and then
build GUI components on top of them. We were considering using tck/tk
widgets for the GUI but it would be much better to use Java.

Is you project based upon the SJava package, because we have had lots of
problems with the callback interface?

Would you consider releasing your work in progress under the GPL? We are
keen to avoid re-inventing things and its a long time until we are all at
UseR! - we could at the very least give some user feedback.

On a slightly different tack, I have recently taken a look at Jython - an
implementation of Python in Java that produces byte code that runs on the
JVM. Combined with this there is a project called xoltar which aims to bring
functional programming to Python. This got me thinking that a R parser could
be written in Java for a core set of functionality allowing code and
packages written in "pure-R" to be compiled as byte code and run on the JVM.
Then one could call  the SJava package from Java to execute anything unusual
in R proper.... any thoughts?

PS in terms of a script editor for R ... take a look at the JEdit project
which already supports R and S+ syntax highlighting. There is a plugin
called Sidekick which provides a framework for high-level language-specific
features, such as a structure tree, and code completion... it's all written
in Java so it could be extended to work with R.

Regards,

John