[Rd] R: SearchEngine (PR#6610)

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:09:46 MET 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Anton Zgonc wrote:

> > I am sorry, but this is just not true.  Please search the R-help archives
> > for lots of comments about people having problems and others reporting
> > success with e.g. Mozilla 1.3 and 1.6.  The problems are not to do with R
> > but to do with the Java or JavaScript installation or settings.  (I am
> > currently only able to get this to work with the latest-but-one version of
> > Sun's JVM on RH8.0/9/FC1.)
>
> Appology. I talked to my coworkers amd it seems that the built-in JAVA
> engine in Mozilla/Netscape is relevant. Namely, SearchEngine works on
> some Mozilla 1.3 or higher versions on various RH Linuxes in our Agency,
> but doesn not on others, enev with the same versions of Mozilla. I
> couldn't figure out why. It helped me to install Netscape 4.7.

There is no `built-in Java engine' in Mozilla/Netscape (>=6).  You have to
install it and configure it correctly and there are lots of Linux distros
with this not done correctly, as well as version incompatibilities.

So the likely story is that some Linux machines don't have Java installed
or configured.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk