[Rd] R CMD versus Rcmd

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Sun Feb 22 13:00:42 MET 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:14:17 -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
wrote:

>Very nice -- my Cygwin-ish scripts will then work at home without changes.

That's the aim, but it's probably not quite true yet.  There are still
a few differences (see the Invoking R appendix of the R-intro manual
for the ones I know about).  You may also need to define an alias for
R.exe:  Brian Ripley has told me that the tcsh shell he uses maps
executable filenames to lowercase.

>> Running "R" by itself will start Rterm.exe.  You still run Rgui to get
>> the GUI version (or just click on the shortcut).
>
>Is it possible to spawn Rgui from R(term)?  For consistency,
>"R --gui=$something", maybe R --gui=windows, would be nice.

That's not currently possible, but it would be an easy change.  I
wouldn't use the name "windows" for the gui:  I'd want a name that
distinguishes it from other GUIs on the Windows platform (though there
are currently none shipping with R).

Thinking about this, I thought of using "Rgui" as the name, but that
means you'd type

R --gui=Rgui

instead of

Rgui

and it just didn't seem worth the effort.  g

Duncan Murdoch