[Rd] ISBN number registartion

Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Feb 16 04:26:47 MET 2004

  > Hello all,
  > I notice that the R package, the manuals and even the FAQ have ISBN
  > numbers. I help write the Gnumeric (GNOME's spreadsheet) manual and
  > wondered how you all managed to get those numbers. Also are these
  > numbers interrelated so that if you gain a document, its number would
  > follow from your existing numbers.

  > Any pointers to information would be appreciated.

ISBN numbers can be purchased from a country-specific agency. The R
Foundation currently owns a series of 100 numbers, i.e. all ISBNs of
form 3-900051-xx-y (y is only a checksum).  We can use those freely
for documents we publish, if the respective document is allowed to get
an ISBN (manuals and software are).

For details see www.isbn.org. Where you get free ISBNs depends on the
country of the *publisher*, in case of the R Foundation that is
Austria.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Best,
Fritz

PS: I really like gnumeric :-)