[Rd] Building r-devel on Panther

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 13 18:34:04 MET 2004

Jan de Leeuw <deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu> writes:

> Hm. Strange. The only things I can think of is remnants of old
> R installs, or not doing a clean install, having some old
> environmental variables sitting around, or undesirable
> interaction with R-1.8.1.
>
> On Feb 13, 2004, at 8:43, Na Li wrote:
>

> > I did:
> >
> > ./configure --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack --with-aqua
> > make
> > sudo make install
> > sudo make install-aqua
> >
> > Everything seems to be OK (some warnings about multiple definitions of
> > some symbols).  However:
> >
> > bass$ /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
> > Fatal error: unable to open the base package
> >
> > I got the same message when clicking on R.app in /Applications

I think some detective work is in order:

Can you do

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R RHOME

?

and does that directory have library/base looking like a base package?
Are permissions etc. alright?

I'm not a Mac person, but can you do something like "strace" on the
R binary and see what file it is trying to open and what its "dying
words" are?