[Rd] R and Gnumeric?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Dec 20 20:36:29 CET 2004

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at medanalytics.com> writes:

> I was just curious if anyone from R Core might comment on the nature and
> scope of the cooperation, as I could not find anything at the Gnumeric
> web site on this.
>
> Does this suggest that perhaps code sharing and/or some level of
> validation is taking place on selected Gnumeric math/stat functions?

It's fairly informal, and mainly on the special functions level.
Gnumeric imports bits (all?) of R's standalone math library. You may
have seen some bug reports from terra at gnome.org (aka Morten Welinder)
on accuracy issues and the like. Morten is a Gnome/Gnumeric developer
and works with R-core members (I believe mostly Martin Maechler) from
time to time. If you look at Morten's reports, I'm sure you'll agree
that he is rather good at actively seeking out erroneous and
suboptimal code.