[Rd] Lazy loading errors building its package in a chroot

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Dec 15 05:17:16 CET 2004

Trying to build its_1.0.4 in a chroot environment to update the
corresponding Debian package, I get

* Installing *source* package 'its' ...
** R
** inst
** save image
Hmisc library by Frank E Harrell Jr

Type library(help='Hmisc'), ?Overview, or ?Hmisc.Overview')
to see overall documentation.

NOTE:Hmisc no longer redefines [.factor to drop unused levels when
subsetting.  To get the old behavior of Hmisc type dropUnusedLevels().

Attaching package 'Hmisc':

        The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

         ecdf

Creating a new generic function for "names" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "names<-" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "print" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "start" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "end" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "summary" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "diff" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "union" in "its"
Creating a new generic function for "intersect" in "its"

** preparing package for lazy loading
Error in loadNamespace(name) : There is no package called 'its'
Execution halted
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'its'
make: *** [R_any_arch] Error 1
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package

The package installs fine when built on the command-line. This is somehow
related to the reduced environment provided in the chroot -- I recall having
seen (and fixed) the error when other packages where needed during build
time. Hmisc is installed. Nothing else outside of R-base should be needed.

I think I am overlooking something simple, but a couple of simple attempts
didn't get me anywhere.  The chroot isn't a problem per se as several dozen
CRAN packages get built that way into Debian packages.

Puzzled,  Dirk

--
If you don't go with R now, you will someday.
  -- David Kane on r-sig-finance, 30 Nov 2004