[Rd] Multiple options for a package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 14 14:30:19 CET 2004

I don't see why package options need have anything to do with options().
It seems to me that they really should be stored in the package namespace
(and so disappear when the package is detached).  One package which does
this is 'sm' (although that has been ported from S-PLUS and is not the
cleanest R-only mechanism).

I also don't see why you need to save options to file _within a session_,
and the R testing framework does not do so -- take a look at what
massage-examples does.  But if you do save options, remember that some are
read-only.  I think you would find .readRDS and allies (see the help page)
more convenient.