[Rd] a better "source(echo=TRUE)" {was "....how to pause...."}

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Mon Dec 6 05:52:09 CET 2004

You might want to have a look at 'source.mvb' & friends in the 'mvbutils' package. It's designed to allow control of nested sourcing, and to allow interspersed data and commands in a single self-contained file. Unlike 'source', 'source.mvb' reads each statement and immediately executes it, before proceeding to the next; hence it has do the parsing to figure out when a statement is complete.  It relies on 'pushBack' so doesn't work with 'stdin', at least in 1.9.x, which is a pity.

['mvbutils' needs updating to work perfectly with R2.x, but mostly still works.]

>From the doco:

DESCRIPTION

'source.mvb' works like 'source(local=TRUE)', except you can intersperse free-format
data into your code. 'current.source' returns the connection that's currently being
read by 'source.mvb', so you can redirect input accordingly. To do this conveniently
inside 'read.table', you can use 'from.here' to read the next lines as data rather than
R code.

HTH and apologies if not

Mark

Mark Bravington