[Rd] Re: [R] Running R from CD?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 5 07:27:10 CET 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, M. Edward Borasky wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 19:47 +0000, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> This is now solved in R-devel: it runs in the slowest scenario below with
>> a startup time of about 2.5secs and no appreciable delay when running.
>
> I've never had any performance issues in R (or any other packages,
> really) with Dirk Eddelbuettel's Quantian "live" CDs or DVDs, and they
> run the whole OS -- not just the applications -- from a *compressed*
> CD/DVD. The key on Linux is, I think, to have plenty of RAM for I/O
> buffering in addition to what's required for your R datasets -- my
> smallest machine is a 256 MB 933 MHz PIII. I can't comment on the
> Windows kernel, though -- I do Linux performance engineering for a
> living :).

[The part omitted here said, supported by data, that other people did have
performance issues. In particular the `slowest scenario' was not running
from a CD, but a USB drive.  Please do not remove the essential parts of
other people's threads without indication -- it is discourteous to both
poster and the reader.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk