[Rd] Re: [R] R on gentoo amd64 (gcc 3.3.3) is unstable --- no!

ivo_welch-rstat8783 at mailblocks.com ivo_welch-rstat8783 at mailblocks.com
Sat Aug 21 15:59:14 CEST 2004

peter/brian:  thank you for the help.  i can now report that gentoo
amd64 can compile R just fine, too; it requires the f77 USE flag and a
gcc compiler rebuild first, though.  I also went to gcc 3.4.1.  my
segfault troubles earlier were caused by my use of f2c.

suggestion: would it be possible to add a code snippet  that tests
whether the user is trying to compile with f2c---and if so, bombs the
installation?  (if "f77 --version == f2c" then die)  I know the
problems are not R's fault, but it can percolate into R and it can
protect people like myself.

regards,

/ivo

PS: I am still looking for an R wizard who would be interested in
coauthoring an "R cookbook" ala the "perl cookbook" with me...

---
ivo welch
professor of finance and economics
brown / nber / yale