[Rd] plot(SOM) segfaults (PR#7157)

David Meyer david.meyer at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Aug 10 14:04:48 CEST 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:22:19 +0100 (BST)
Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> It is reasonable to expect plot to work for any arbitrary function, or
> alternatively for any function to work with this sort of abuse?

I think the former, but I agree it is impossible to do the necessary
checks.

What probably remains is to add some check in SOM() to avoid the
segfault.
(Which, I guess, occurs in the call of "VR_onlineSOM" because n =
as.integer(nrow(data)) becomes numeric(0) since nrow(data) is NULL in
this case?)

So, this bug report was indeed sent to the wrong place, my apologies...

-d

> If the latter, this is a bug report on class and was sent to the wrong
>
> place (see the FAQ).
>
> If the former, plot.function and curve do no checking, but what could
> they reasonably do?
>
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 david.meyer at wu-wien.ac.at wrote:
>

> > library(class)
> > plot(SOM)
> >
> > segfaults in curve() at the line:
> >
> >  y <- eval(expr, envir = list(x = x), enclos = parent.frame())
> >
> > at least since R version 1.8.1.
> >
> > Version:
> >  platform = i686-pc-linux-gnu
> >  arch = i686
> >  os = linux-gnu
> >  system = i686, linux-gnu
> >  status = Under development (unstable)
> >  major = 2
> >  minor = 0.0
> >  year = 2004
> >  month = 07
> >  day = 27
> >  language = R
> >
> > Search Path:
> >  .GlobalEnv, package:class, package:methods, package:stats,
> > package:graphics, package:utils, Autoloads, package:base
> >

> --

Dr. David Meyer
Department of Information Systems

Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 2-6, A-1090 Wien, Austria, Europe
Fax: +43-1-313 36x746
Tel: +43-1-313 36x4393
HP:  http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/Wer_sind_wir/meyer/