[Rd] Re: [R] /minus or /hyphen in PS output

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 12:58:04 CEST 2004

1) You used the wrong list.  Please see the posting guide.

2) They used /minus because they wanted minus not hyphen.
R uses Latin1 and not standard encoding, and /minus is in Latin1.
I think the fonts you are using are not Latin1 fonts, as all the afms
supplied with R support /minus.

If you look at the output with your patch, it uses hyphen for negative
numbers, extremely poor typography (the sort of thing that you get from
Word!).

3)  // is invalid in C code, and your patch will not compile on some
systems which R supports.

There is perhaps a way around fonts which are missing /minus, but we want
/minus if available.  Perhaps you would like to work on a more careful
analysis and patch?  One that does not break standard usage?