[Rd] Re: [R] Problem in method's Makefile?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 6 09:43:04 CEST 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     BDR> ......................
>     BDR> ......................
>
>     BDR> However, I am working right now on streamlining this
>     BDR> now we don't allow lazy-loading to be optional.
>
> "don't allow" :
> That is for the "core packages" only, right?

I meant specifically for package methods under Unix (that file
Makefile.in).  There is in principle no need to save the image prior to
preparing the lazyloading database but that needs code changes for
methods.

The standard packages either use lazy loading (most) or not (the small
ones, splines and tcltk) without any choice.  (There was a choice under
Unix for a short while.)

For all contributed (including recommended) packages, lazy loading can be
controlled by INSTALL --lazy/--no-lazy unless the package itself insists
via its DESCRIPTION file.  If unspecified, INSTALL selects lazy loading
for largish packages without saved images (about 27% of those on CRAN
yesterday).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk