[Rd] trellis.device in .First (PR#6812)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 08:18:54 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Paul Murrell wrote:

> Hi

> > 	  <........>
> >
> >     BDR> It is a matter for discussion (with the lattice
> >     BDR> maintainer) whether trellis.device should help you out
> >     BDR> here by importing the devices from package graphics.  I
> >     BDR> think adding (conditionalized on the platform)
> >
> >     BDR> importFrom(graphics, windows, postscript, pdf, pictex,
> >     BDR>            win.metafile, win.print, png, jpeg, bmp, xfig, bitmap)
> >
> >     BDR> to its NAMESPACE might be worth considering.
> >
> >     BDR> Alternatively, device.call <- get(device) could be put
> >     BDR> in a try call, followed by a try on
> >     BDR> getFromNamespace("graphics", device).
> >
> > That's a very good idea, I'd support quite a bit.
> >
> > I think I would go with the alternative approach
> > (where you probably meant to say  device <- getOption("device") first?),
> > since the importFrom(..) approach leeds to a somewhat tedious maintenance
> > effort to keep up the list of available devices for the different platforms
> > (For MacOS X one has to include quartz() only in the situations
> >  where it's available) where as Deepayan (the lattice
> > maintainer) could rely on getOption("device") to be ok
> > {and as you proposed would be on guard using try() or its newer siblings}.
>

> I probably should have thought of this sooner, but anyway ...
> Perhaps a better solution would be to split out another package called
> "devices".  Then both "graphics" and "grid" could require "devices" (so
> whenever you go to do any graphics you are guaranteed access to the
> default devices).

I am not sure it is better, but it is not something we can do for a few
months (that is, not in a patchlevel release).  It's not quite that simple
-- where would you put ps.options?  Presumably in devices, and then
people would need to change their hooks again ....

Incidentally, I think the name `devices' is rather narrow-minded (as is
.Devices borrowed from S-PLUS).  They are _graphics_ devices and we might
one day want audio devices or even devices for other types of
visualization such as dynamic graphics.

Brian