[Rd] is.na(valid_date) too often true on SGI MIPS (PR#6814)

aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Apr 24 13:33:17 CEST 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, George N. White III wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sorry, but this is completely unreproducible, and the second you say
> > > is true you quote as false.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean -- are you saying "make check" passes on
> > other Irix systems?
>
> We don't have an Irix system on which they fail _AND_ your examples
> are not in the R sources. N.B. as.Date and is.na(strptime()) are not the
> same code, and your second example is still not explained.

I assume the second example refers to the NA+NaN vs NaN+NA, evidence that
the system is not doing arithmetic the same way it is done by mainstream
platforms.

> However, you reported to R bugs, not to Irix bugs, and no other R system
> has shown this behaviour.  So the finger is pointing elsewhere.

It would be surprising if this isn't another of many SGI foibles, but the
sad reality is that SGI goes their own way and you either find a way to
live with them or switch to a less idiosyncratic platform.  I'd be
grateful for a hint as to which compilers/options work for Irix.

SGI doesn't compete in the mainstream market, and would certainly be out
of business if it was easy to move code between Irix and the mainstream --
the only reason we continue to use Irix is legacy applications created on
Irix.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada